Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Odd Traffic Pattern at Lanny on Learning Technology

This post is being written a little after 6 AM.  Normally my blog gets a trickle of flow.  But yesterday at around 7 PM it started to experience an increase in traffic of about 40 fold.  I don't know why and I'm trying to figure that out.

These are the data on hits for the last week.  They show that what started last night is indeed odd.



These are the data on entry pages for the last 7 hours.  Virtually all this traffic is going to a single post on The Grid Question Type in Google Forms. It has been my most popular post, but it was made in 2010.  So why it should see such a boost from normal traffic is a bit weird.


And these are the data on referring pages. Alas, it is not too informative as the vast majority of pages seem not to have one.  There is some email referral from a Yahoo account.  If that account got hacked it could possibly generate this traffic.  I checked my own Yahoo account, which I almost never use, and it doesn't appear to be the source of this. 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Its from the Startup Engineering course on CourseEra. We were referred here when told why our instructors chose google forms for a survey over CourseEras survey system.

Lanny Arvan said...

Thanks for letting me know. So now I've been MOOC'd.

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is being referred from the Coursera.